Sunday 30 January 2011

After the Wedding - don't read if you don't want the plot spoilt



Rolf Laasgard acted in such a way that he moved as if powerful and very very wealthy. I have seen him in a Dogme film I think. He is very familiar anyway. At times I thought he was almost a cliche of the person he was acting and yet after watching the film I thought he was quite brilliant.
He was so damned rich! I thought he was playing games with people, using his wealth to control and manipulate. At times of course he was and yet all long he was feeling his utmost powerlessness as he faced he reality of his own death. He didn't want to die and yet there he was using his money to make everything OK for those he loved once he was gone. It worked though - at first I didn't like him. I didn't quite trust this power he yielded and his utterly relaxed and fun approach - it didn't seem to fit the powerful billionaire he was. And there was good reason as the plot unfolded. However, it just goes to show how I played into the hands of judgement about the super wealthy actually being wealthy because actually I grew to understand his fear and all that he was prepared to lose for love. I ended up like him enormously. Clever weaving!
I think he played the most powerful part in this film and yet he was not the lead.

Mads Mikklesen played his part well I thought. A history with drink and rugs and he seemed to have a fear of the world. He was a quieter man with principles beyond money. Yet pulled by the possibility of more good with more money and forsaking himself. In the end though he was pulled by love.
The ending with Pramod, Neeral Mulchandani, was a little too convenient for my liking in terms of the happy ever after bit. An 8 year old I think would be much more lead by the heart especially a child from abandonment. Anyway ... I can forgive the film this. There was no more time to deal with the story I guess.
Sidse Babett Knudsen (beautiful) also played her part well - in places I thought. She was not a very wholesome character. It mattered less as the story for more was about than about Rolf or Mads and of course she was a link between them. It was intricately tying stories together from the starting point of poverty versus extreme wealth.
I read about the filming - eye closeups and stills as being very Dogme style. I hadn't appreciated it as that whilst watching. At times I thought it was unnecessary but often it was very poignant and to stand still in a film I think takes great courage and good timing. There weer intense moments created as a result. At other times I think it was over done.
Overall I thought it was a very good film and glad to have encountered too a female Director - Susanne Biers. A really good Danish film with glimpses of Danish life - city and countryside.
Oh the same director who made Open Hearts - a very good Dogme film. I really did like that film a lot!
Will definitely watch Brothers if I can get hold of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment