Saturday 13 August 2011

The cooker

A Winter's Bone
A film interesting to watch for a culture really unknown to me yet somerthing I am aware of. Set in the Ozarks Missouri. The cooker is the missing father who cooks up methamphetamine. The story really is of the dark interrelations surrounding this drug culture. But it is also about the so-called dark community of secrets and support.
I don't think we have anything like this lifestyle in the UK. The poorest of the poor, keeping their own laws, looking out for their own. The nearest thing I suppose are the travellers and even when they are "settled" they seem to have their own inner world, their own way of dealing with the law. There is an od moral code. It's not a world for the world, it's about them and us but even within them no one messes with the toughies. Fear is the law.



Jennifer Lawrence acts the part well I thought. There was only one reference I think to abused girls when Ree (Jennifer) says her little sister wasn't the shining one. I am not sure what else this was referring to. I wasn't fully present throughout the film.
Yes I thought it as a good film. Oh and I did wonder how the kids had so many expensive toys???? Yet they were the poorest of the poor.
I can let go of those things though for the value of the story and a walk through this life that I have absolutely no experience of.

Bliss
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment