Friday 11 May 2012

Lucian Freud






Martin Gayford
(art critic)


It is my intention to include portraits that I actually saw.

A journey to London by train and a walk around the Lucian Freud Exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery was a lovely time spent. I realised only later when discussing the exhibition that I hadn't had any strong desires to possess any particular piece of work. Interesting. As usually there are several that I just want to have with a longing.
Discussing this with A and B, after B asked whether we liked the exhibition or not was interesting in itself. I''m really not sure if I did like it. I found it interesting. I did like the way he captured Kitty, his first wife but I felt it was very much more symbolic. The way she was holding the cat b y the neck was somewhat disturbing and the flowers seemed t have more meaning. The cat looks at us whilst Kitty looks at something else and she seems to be throttling it.The way he paints eyes is seemingly over exaggerated. It's very much more representational than likeness.







Perhaps because I've seen it so often, this is one of my favourites. I find it unusual how there are some specifics within any painting that he seems to pay a lot of attention to, almost getting it accurate and yet other elements are almost cartoon-like. My gosh! Wouldn't he have hated that? Or would he.


A commented that his paintings were as if abstract using the human form to convey the abstract. If she kept that in mind she went on to say, she could really enjoy them. There were paintings that I could agree with an earlier comment of hers, that they looked like dead pieces of flesh. After all he was concentrating on flesh and bodies. Did anyone ever say that he was trying to get to the emotion and soul? No. It was the outer parts he was concentrating on surely. And apparently his daughters have said that he was distant - a remote island. I wonder when he closed down? I wonder what caused him to distance himself from people? ow true is the hearsay anyway? Wouldn't it have been good to have had some time to get to know him and his thoughts on life, the planet, the universe and everything.


 An early self portrait in which he was holding a feather and other symbolic shapes and figures, which had meanings but that he never revealed to anyone.

According to others, the Queen did  not like the version of herself painted by Freud. It's hardly flattering so I can't say I blame her. I wonder if it was destroyed?








I felt as if I was at the scene of a murder enquiry when I looked at this one. The floor seemed to be very alive, the body not.



I loved this painting of Caroline Blackwood. Apparently she was the woman who his heart was broken over. And this painting shouts emotions despite his apparent lack of ...

Something I fund disturbing was the use of his daughters in paintings of nudity. It just doesn't seem OK but that's probably my own personal influences at play.

Bella Freud


This painting of his children was intriguing, the play on perspectives especially the hands and feet. Even the children seem out of perspective with each other. The woman I think is a lover at that time. Why is it artists think it's OK to have many lovers and partners. It seems so painful to me. But to be bohemian means that one would have to accept it? They were and probably still are still the same?? Or am I cynical. I suppose that the relationship between the artist and the model is pretty intense. However apparently his paintings took many long hours with him requiring his models to go into an inner state. He painted them as if they were shut down and deadened. Is this what he wanted? However in this painting of his children there is life and movement, despite the oddness of enlarged hands and feet.




The detail of the man in the foreground is painting exquisitely in my opinion. His suit, his hands. And the view through the window is very detailed and precise. But the guy standing seemed as if at some point he got bored and just bodged it. Apart from the hand in the tail of the suit. I liked that once A pointed that out.

There were so many paintings, a large collection being exhibited. I was chronologically displayed.
I think it took about 2 hours all in all. So worthwhile. I'm glad I went to see it. At this moment I'm not sure what I have taken away from the experience. I learnt more again about him, art and little details.

In English, the borrowed Italian word impasto most commonly refers to a technique used in painting, where paint is laid on an area of the surface (or the entire canvas) very thickly, usually thickly enough that the brush or painting-knife strokes are visible. Paint can also be mixed right on the canvas. When dry, impasto provides texture, the paint appears to be coming out of the canvas.

It was lovely spending the afternoon with A and B. I think it was useful starting out this long weekend doing something away from work. However, they insist on speaking about the situation. As they do about my food. They and others seem to have more problems dealing with what I can't have than I do. I am so relieved to have freedom with my food. I am grateful for the structure and certainty. This used to be so out of control and I was terrified of that. It was not getting better either, it was worsening. Now though I know what and when precisely I will be eating. Today I have eaten more cheese than I am supposed to. I weighted 2 oz but then as I was re-weighing it I was thinking 4 oz. I noted to myself that it seemed so much more than usual. But having sat down and started to eat it I suddenly realised it should be 2 oz. I stopped eating it but think I have probably eaten over the 2oz permitted. Of course now I am feeling fat which is all in the mind. I will tell my sponsor in the morning.

Thank you Lucian for painting. Thank you collectors for allowing the viewing. Thank you National Portrait and curator for organising the event. Pity I have to pay when I am so poor. However I am grateful for the experience as I love the stimulation. I didn't feel exhausted afterwards as I easily made the meeting and despite it not being such a laughter-filled meeting it was meaningful and helpful.
I need to call a few people I think.

Bliss
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment