Tuesday 16 April 2013

Bauhaus at Barbican

What a fascinating exhibition. The history of Bauhaus was brought to life for me today. I hadn't really known what it was all about an I have more of an idea now. I hadn't realised just what a faculty it was. What a wonderful time it must have been. So much being taught and discovered. The exhibition was pretty big. It took me over 2 hours to get around it. In the end I was very tired and over stimulate somewhat, so I confess I didn't pay as much attention to the exhibits at that point.
I wonder how often people come across artefacts that were from Bauhaus. I should love to discover something that I could keep.
I have this thing about possessing ..... I would prefer it if I could just hold the memories and I think that's it. I encounter all of these things and then they slip out of my memory. I have been to palces and seen things that I have long forgotten. It would be nice to be able to hold memories. I hold bad ones but what abut the amazing and wonderful and people, places and things.

This was written way back in 2012 - I was going to add more but didn't so posting it now. So long afterwards.
I was so impressed with Bauhaus and wanted so much to be in such an environment. I see an attempt of it at West Dean but of course do not have the funds nor the creative ability to beling there. Am I jealous? Yes.
However I did this sketch the other day and thought there is improvement. And I was left wondering too that once the idea of perspective has bedded in can one again return to the childlike drawings without an idea of perspective and then look like a pro trying innocence??
And I also have realised that I see very little of uniqueness these days in people's work. Occasionally something is unusual and catches my eye. But mainly it's been tried thus far. But then there are new movements and I suppose like anything in it's day from the past looks llike feeble attempts at new movements. Only historically sometimes do things that were once considered harsh and too radical become worthy.
Is that how it works?







Bliss
XX









No comments:

Post a Comment