Sunday 23 June 2013

Flowering wild labels enrich

On the first "date" with G (yes I am missing and reminiscing over the past 9 months - and wondering if it could have worked??) I made a statement to G about the label we give to things such as wild flowers and trees as he told me what this is or that is. I was enthralled but wondering about this labelling that we humans do. Things are what they are, conditions are what they are. Does a label not get us stuck in the label?
Dr G helped me with the moving hypothesis theory. Suggesting that as long as we remember that a label is a moving hypothesis and people say when labelled with this state of mind or other are not always in that condition. And there are many labels that merge into one another, nothing being so finite. In a picture this could be boxes with lids open and sides that are attached and sometimes pervious. I have always said that a label is a way of communicating so that there is a starting point. I have wondered then about the label of addiction. We say we are addicts but that's not all we are. And I am not always addicting. I think the point is that I have at some point crossed that line with many behaviours and substances and therefore can easily been addicting and the label helps me to identify a set of behaviours, attitudes and thought patterns that will be signals of potential danger that can be averted. I think so many people are afraid of the label and some people love to be labelled. It can define them. Fear or attachment of labels are both dangerous in their own ways in my opinion. I've been attached to labels as a way of making my point, excusing myself, understanding myself. It's been a useful and a destructive tool. Labels have helped me get to where I am though today.
And then just studying the concept of language and thought, I have been further enlightened with realisation. Language enriches thoughts. I see how the labels or names given to wild flowers has really drawn my attention to their existence as something of beauty. People call them weeds. My neighbour did yesterday. And yet I am loathe for them to be chopped away beacuse they are labelled as weeds, as to me every petal, every leaf is unique within it's family.
Indeed labels have enriched my world when people have used them to inform me. When they've boxed me with a label I feel cornered and savaged. But indeed if I stand back from reaction their boxing informs me about them.
I truly do entertain labels as worthwhile and how we communicate to each other. But if we can keep an open mind there is room for fullness and wholesome acceptance of all there is to behold

Although I acknowledged with G the comment I made about labels realising at the time that it impacted upon him, I would some day like the opportunity to say what I think today about the wild flower names. I love them. They are so imaginative sometimes and so unassociated at other times. Confusing. But I know that G spent a long time learning those names and they were a place of solace amongst such terors when he was young. He made it his job to learn the names. He has such a brain, a store but not only that he can apply the knowledge retained in creative and clever ways. I miss that so much.

Bliss
xx


 

No comments:

Post a Comment