Monday 30 May 2011

Timeliness

It is wisdom that enables letting go of a lesser happiness in pursuit of a happiness which is greater.
Dhammapada v.290

Ajahn Munindo's contemplations of this.
The filters of our preferences tragically limit our seeing. We want to let go of that which binds us but often our will fails us. Wise reflection can support will - it is will's best friend. Will is not meant to do it alone. The verse encourages us to reflect on how letting go of our attachment to a lesser happiness can lead to gaining a greater happiness. Lost in our attachments, we can see only that which we stand to lose by letting go. Wise thinking means we see what we stand to lose as well as what we stand to gain. Wise reflection opens and broadens our vision and enables pursuit of the goal.

Yes I read and I understand what is being said. Something though that still comes to mind is that to let go some of the emotions need to be acknowledged and understood and worked through. Otherwise the letting go means not learning about self and my part in the attachment and also the patterns of behaviour. In letting go what I would like to be able to do is change my own patterns. That will mean that I will not move on to another person, place or situation in a similar pattern.
Also the extent of the attachment as with my father is my entire life. And by meeting the difficulties head on I can feel there is room for healing and letting go without just trying to forget and move on. It will be a completed transaction in a way. I am beginning to feel that. I have expressed my feelings and can start the forgiveness now. He knows how I have felt and there is no need for anything to change from here on, but my truth is out there. Oh yes I feel the healing starting. And then I can start to let go and move on. With each letting go comes a lot of work beforehand. If the work isn't done it's not a letting go it's merely and ignoring. I suppose people will do that work in different ways and to different to depths. The deeper the work the more complete the letting go in my own opinion. I see that time and again. It doesn't mean anything at all needs to change in the person, place or situation. The change is within.
The better practiced the easier. There is nothing as great as the troublesome relationship I have had with my father. And if I can move further and further away from that with each boundary, each change I make in me then I am better equipped to step along the spiritual path. My father will no longer be my Higher Power. The way, the path, can be my Higher Power. I am developing trust.
So this experience was emotionally incredibly difficult but I have survived despite wanting to be dead.
I hope now that  can learn to manage the bi-polar. Embrace the alertness to the world it brings in the manic phases. And learn to stay safe in the depressive phases. The desire to be dead is a problem!

So my wisdom is coming through knowing I need to let go but before I can I have to let go of not just the bigger picture which is the ultimate aim but each little detail in between.

Ajahn Munindo himself says that knowing what we should do, i.e. letting go is not always helpful. But to become aware of clinging and looking into what this experience is like consciousl is more helpful. Then we can work towards letting go.

I give thanks to the Buddha and to the monks that continue to follow his path to enlightenment and share their wisdom with me

Bliss
XX

Universe thank you for bringing this far and please help me to continue along this path of letting go of attachment to people, places and things. But to appreciate everything whilst I am in that moment.
X

No comments:

Post a Comment