Wednesday 6 July 2011

Made by People

Mindful writing prompt #5: Made by people
In the January River of Stones we read hundreds of beautiful stones about the natural world. Small stones about birds, animals, and about the weather. This week we'd like you to write about something created by humans, rather than by nature. What have you encountered that was made by a person, or by people, that inspires you? It might be a building, or an object, or a piece of art....

Write a small stone, or poem, or prose piece about it, and share it with us.


Two things came to mind - Egon Schiele and the still and peace at Cittaviveka Buddhist monastery.
And then whether to write ion the form of a poem or prose. A small stone doesn't quite seem appropriate somehow.



It can seem crazy how in death this piece of paper has become so much in demand that it costs millions to purchase. Though I completely understand when I stop to glance again. A plain piece of paper, taken by a young man. Her eyes. In her eyes he draws his love. Capturing a nonchalance in her suggesting her ease with him. Even so its more about him with her. He presents her dignity and beauty. This painting is exquisite. Simple lines, space. Colour placed so lightly and delicately. It's as if he is stroking her arm, touching her cheek, breathing in her scent. She is real to me. I see her breathing. I feel honoured to be in the presence of Edith, looking over to me where he once stood. Lovingly observing the details of his intense love. I feel like crying. Beguiling young time. Were they but to know, the brevity of this time, long since gone, living on each time a passer-by stops to look. I stand here and the passion lives on and on and Edith is adored still by strangers like me. I know them. I am close. I feel for them. To stand and behold something so created, that enchants hearts today and becomes worth money beyond anything imagined in that instant of togetherness. It wasn't about money though! Who could have thought that others would love Edith the way he did. To stand in a room and be with her looking at him. A precious moment. My thanks to you for inspiration and awe. I gasp an appreciation of time, past and present and think into the future. My appreciation of a glimpse into love. Just three days between you in passing, your time spent sketching your love. Thank you, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment