Monday 5 March 2012

My heart and conscience wants world unity and altruism and abundance for everyone, meaning sharing out and equality. Yet my subconscious self gain and there is competitiveness there too and share but keep more back for me. I want less to pay out and more to come in and self improvement.
What is all of this? ow do I know what I truly want?

Andrei Tarkovsky brought these thoughts forth in me. I know little about him and yet it seems he is classic in film making. I must read more. History of these things fascinates me. We are the legacy of the past.



Ah ha - considered a leader and master of his time. Yes I see how there is a certain mystique and timelessness about the film I'm watching - The Stalker. So far of what I've seen it's quite straightforward and yet also lots unsaid or unanswered. I have no idea about these men and their past just a sense of quest and desire for something maybe better or more fulfilling. Yet the Stalker himself is all knowing of the place. Why doesn't he stay there? Is it guilt that keeps him returning or knowledge that actually there is nothing there for him.
Of course the story is not Tarkovsky's not even the screen writing. But his directive interpretation is interesting and of course aged with time. The chase by the military seems feeble but maybe also because no one dare chase them in the Zone. And the wonderment of colour suddenly appearing. In commentary I read there was attention to the fact that Tarkovsky has a long 7 minute seen of the three men travelling silently other than the sounds of the rail trolley. Rhythmic music adding to the scene. It wasn't that long in the version I'm watching. But the wonder of colour and trees whereas before it's all run down buildings, grey and metallic noises is a stark contrast of something better beyond those fences and guarded gates.
Definitely atmospheric despite it's datedness. I will watch Nostalgia which was the recommendation in the first place. I'm hoping the version I have is compete with subtitles.



No comments:

Post a Comment