Thursday 1 March 2012

Orlando

My musings after watching the film of Virginia Woolf's book

Does Woolf often use time in that manner? And the gender switch was interesting too. The irony of the rejection and rejecting interested me too and societies sexism. How funny that today the androgynous appearance is revered. Skinny women with almost boy-like figures.
I wonder if David Lynch and Peter Greenaway were inspired by Virginia Woolf? Would plays on time generally be considered experimental? I was just thinking that writing the impossible and treating it as if it's perfectly normal is quite something. So in Orlando I like the way to me that it seemed perfectly normal and acceptable and yet there was reference tot he oddness mainly to the gender change momentarily through other characters but then simply accepted .
Just some rambling ideas on what I watched. I am trying to think which other film I watched recently that dealt with issues in a similar manner - ie explicitly separating out the subject i.e. society, sex etc.

Bliss
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment