Sunday 29 April 2012

Listen for the gaps




Speaking with a fellow I am reminded of The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle. Something that was a special moment for me was his suggestion to listen for the gaps between the sounds. It was as if the world of sound slowed right down. I could distinguish separate sounds and the sound I was listening to became so crystal clear despite the distance between me and the source of the sound. i remember that I was sitting in the garden of a villa in Majorca, a friend at that time had given a weeks stay for myself and SH. Things between him and I were fraught at the time and so a lot of the time I was sitting alone in the warm sunshine. I was listening to sounds from across the sea inlet and marvelled at the sudden slowness of sound. And he also suggested looking for the gaps between the molecules and however small things became, like the gaps between rain drops and then the gaps between the water molecules making up the rain, again everything slowed. D just reminded me to sit and wait for the next thought. How utterly beautiful is that idea in itself. I shall take a time of quiet to sit and wait for the next thought.l He suggests that it will be surprising how I might be able to sit in the suspension of the waiting. I will look for the thought and not concentrate on wanting the suspension.
He says too that the fact that I am looking inwards is enough. Trying for perfectionism or attainment is not necessary.
How so very gentle indeed. Freeing, serene, gracious.
I am delighted to have spoken with D and before her L, who seems a little more uptight but entering into this programme in early days. She sounds like she wants to get it right and seems to be questioning and uncertain. That's OK and hardly surprising. She has found FA through her daughter and how remarkably humble that seems to me.
I love being abstinent and I love the fellowship. I love the connections I make. Thank you God. It's your grace that gives this to me and keeps me abstinent and connected.

Bliss
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment