Monday 28 May 2012

Self will and fear

"Willpower is like the super turbo boost button on video game: It works only for a limited duration of time. It needs time to recharge between uses. And the results of using it are somewhat unpredictable. It is a handy tool to have, and it sure is exciting when you mash that button, but if you use it too often you won't have it when you need it, and using it at the wrong time can cause a most spectacular crash."

I read this today when searching for alternative descriptions of powerlessness. I liked it. Now I know there is healthy self will. We need will power to get up in the morning and to take the action required to actually make this programme of recovery work. It's a programme of action as they say. The healthy will though is very much guided. Guided by my understanding of God and God speaks through people as well as through my conscience and through intuition and through the written words and through music and pieces of art and general creativity.
I need to be cautious when making decisions and then act on those decisions. The best thing to o is sit in quiet time and ask God for guidance. I can check things out with my sponsor and other FA'ers. I can talk things through with friends. I can read and I can write and I can listen, listen at meetings, listen, listen. listen and ask!

Now I have heard for many years that the only way to deal with with fear is to face it. I have heard people say that the only thing to fear is fear itself but I don't agree with this. As with all emotions I believe that to deal with fear it is important for me to trust. If I acknowledge the fear then I can choose to trust. When I trust I love the fear and this is the quote M has pulled out of a Sylvia Plath book. I can't remember the words she had written but the essence I think was "the only thing to love is fear itself".
I can love the fear that I faced with the situation at work. I was so terrified but not even sure what that fear was of? What did I thin could happen? Everything was changing I didn't feel qualified or capable. I was scared that I'd be discovered for being useless. And useless would mean unemployable. And without a job and an income I would be unable to love any quality of life at all. I ask myself what quality I am living now? Well it's basic but it's above average basic in some ways. And these things are purely material, well and events to enjoy and stimulate and create.
You see how messages come through so many sources. Inspirational.
Here is the quote from the book Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams by Sylvia Plath - "the only thing to love is fear itself. Love of fear is the beginning of wisdom.
I really  do embrace this concept. If I can face the fear then I will learn and grow. My faith grows. All will always be well regardless of what happens. An this is wisdom and growth in itself.

I am tired. I need to sleep

Bliss
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment