Monday 25 June 2012

The Air That I Breathe

Well I enjoyed the concept and like the idea that inspired the film of a Chinese proverb that breaks life down into four emotional cornerstones – Happiness (Whitaker), Pleasure (Fraser), Sorrow(Gellar), and Love(Bacon). The proverb speaks of these emotions, not as isolated fragments of feelings, but as elements that make up the whole of the human existence. Each of the four protagonists is based on one of the four emotions; and like the proverb their paths are inextricably linked to each other, akin to the Fingers (Garcia) of a hand. (Wikipedia)
To be honest the inter-weaving of the stories seems old hat now. Once I thought it clever and remarkable. Magnolia and Short Cuts are the ones that really spring to mind. There are elements of synchronicity in other films but those two are really based around that idea. I find Andy Garcia a disappointing baddie but type cast really. He cannot compete with Al Pacino.
Apparently the film was a BIG flop at the box office. I understand why. Sarah Michelle Gellar's performance was rated highly. I thought she was OK, but there was nothing outstanding, lots of female actors look and sound similar. Am I too judgemental? Whereas I thought Fraser was acting, nothing like the other films I've seen him in. The thing that redeemed it as a 3 for me was the idea of the emotions, each finding their emotion through adversity. The only let down was the happy ending for Sorrow.


 File:The Air I Breathe theatrical poster.jpg

Bliss
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment