Monday 8 April 2013

Drinking and then Not Drinking - notes from Siste Bea

Sister Bea talks about one specific occasion in her chairs to exemplify her powerlessness and unmanageability.
And then she talks about being in the programme but just not drinking.
Someone once said to her that she was always so miserable. She agreed that she fond it all annoying and boring. He suggested that she go home and get on her knees and ask for the willingness to have a change of attitude. Which she did. She laughed saying that she wants to say that God appeared to her suddenly and lit the sky. But he didn't but realised that God appeared to her in different ways. She discovered that praying for the willingness to come unstuck it always happened. The little miracles of God that an easily be overlooked.
Over the years the cravings were lifted and she began to enjoy the wonders of the programme. At times she would be crying with dear or frustration or just not knowing what to do next. She would go to meetings crying. She discovered that the programme is magnificent and magic. The magic comes from us when we discover the big secret. The secret is that we are totally powerless of everything. And we get to latch onto life in a different way, letting go to a Higher Power. Sometimes letting go and taking back and letting go and so on. We talk about selfishness and self-centredness is the problem for us. Wanting to be in charge.
It say to Sister B. this is the how and why of it. You have to quit playing God because it doesn't work. And from hereon God is going to be the master - He is the father you are the child. It may be too complicated for you to get at times in its simplicity.
This is the the key to pass into freedom. Which is all I've ever wanted,
This inner freedom has come to her she says. She has discovered that working the steps there are all these little promises caught up in the steps. Page 63/84 these promises are a in the steps.
In step 3 if we turn our will over to the care of God then all the promises are caught up in this. All sorts of remarkable things will follow if we hand over control to God.
God will provide everything you need so long as you stay close and do the work. You will be come less interested in self and more interested in what you can contribute to life. And as a result you will feel new power enter into your life. You will lose your fear of today and tomorrow. You will be reborn. You will get to start all over again.
This is a fascinating study for her. One of the tings she odes is when she goes through this. She says there are 84 promises all caught up in the steps.
Men - 6 promises for step 4. 2 for acceptance for anger, fear and sex. Means that they keep coming back
10 promises in step 5 -
Promises in steps 8/9
promises from step 10
Stop Fighting. I don;t have to go to war anymore.

Used to think I knew how to teach prayer and meditation. Page 86 and 87 of the Big Book.
I have to ask God to direct my thinking and consider my plans for the day. First think in the morning.

I can wake up filled with resentment. It can say to me please wake up as we have to get someone today.
When agitated and indecisive (easy for me to do). Things in life are agitating.Generally I am irritable. The steps help to even me out. So that I can always be in touch with the ways of my self.
I average 3/4 meetings per week.
I have a sponsor and I sponsor other people.
Working with the spirituality of the programme means I have to work it harder for myself.
The magic is here but I don't know where it comes from.
We never criticise. But I listen to people sometimes in meetings and I do criticise. I wonder which part of never I don;t understand.
This woman wanted to drink and a foolish man in the meeting stood up yet again saying the same old thing. But added that we are not supposed to drink or use drugs. IN the care the woman had heard him above all other people. She said we are not supposed to drink between meetings. I had to realise that God works in mysterious ways and I don't know best.
Oh the putting down of the alcohol can switch into relationships.
People get sober then start shaping up and all is looking good. Then it gets boooring.People get stuck
A lot of unhappy people in recovery too. I don;t want to be unhappy. I was too unhappy before I got here.
G is unhappy.
The joys of the programme come from living and loving the programme.
Shakespeare - King Lear- we should live and pray and take upon us the mystery of things and so we were God's spies.
We get to see how God works in the most extraordinary ways. The miracle world we are living in. It is a wonderful life
We get the chance to break the cycle of negativity. Awakenings are happening all over the world and we are witness to some of them. This is such a privilege
The steps of this programme can and will change us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment