Friday 7 September 2012

Tolerance and accceptance

Are they the same thing? Or do they have to go hand in hand? And if so what is the subtle difference?

Tolerance
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practises, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

Acceptance
the act of tolerating or accommodate oneself to

acceptance involves tolerance. OK
So I need to accept that M is the way she is because actually her manner can be quite irritating and harsh. It's me that gets irritated ad needs to find a way of either just letting it be how it is and not get emotionally attached or move away.
I feel sad that there is the thought of moving away. I think I simply contact her less and less. Every contact seems difficult for me. It seems abrasive and competitive somehow. Now keeping the focus on me I know it is me that is reacting.
So tolerate and accept or move one. I keep trying.
I gradually stop trying.
For example I sent a simple text this morning following on from our conversation last evening. She had forgotten but sent a question mark to me. OK so that's the first bit of bristling on my part. Why just a question mark?
I will stop texting M. It seems that messages get misconstrued by me. And if I phone I need to limit the amount of time as I get irritated by the length of the call. So I have said I have a 15 minute break and I will limit the call from the off-set to 10 mins.
I am tried and irritable anyway I think so it's better not to get even more irritated as I can so easily with M.
Sometimes she really doesn't irritate me at all. We can have some lovely times together. And I suspect we both bring something to that but of course my tendency is to blame.
I want to be accepting of all - please help me God.
Sometimes it all seems so intense and difficult when all I am being is friendly and in contact.
If friendly and in contact isn't wanted then say it. I will gradually back off as far as we both want. I have already been through the pain of all of that and moving on.

Bliss
XX
 

No comments:

Post a Comment