Saturday 24 August 2013

An object of serious scrutiny.

Inspired by Betty Friedan without ever having read anything or knowing of existence before Friday, I write .....

With a tone of indignancy I recounted how this older man had the audacity to rest his knee in my back. I had haughtily explained that he had been flirting prior to this. This older man, who's wife was disabled and huff and puff and more scornful examples of his bad, assumptie behaviour. As Stuart sat there listening I provided all the evidence that this man was a despicable example of men. I acknowledged that S was a man "present company excepted", I smiled. I went on, angry at men.
When I'd finished, stopping to breathe in a sort of "well?" tone of breathing. Stuart sat for a while. I anticipated his disgust towards the men I have met along my life. Then the blow I least expected. "This is something about you they respond to."
I sat there stunned. Speechless. For a very long moment I can't be sure I took in a breath.
Me? I almost said how dare you! But I was thinking rapidly. Flitting between he's right, he's wrong, he's right. Oh shit! He's right.
It's me who gives off something that men think it's okay to over step a mark.

Bliss
xx



 

No comments:

Post a Comment